I also built a bigger quadcopter, smaller aluminum tube so no holes, bigger motors, more power, and full fpv gear. Build images after the break:
Lots has happened, i switched to a Aluminum home built frame, drilled some holes in it to reduce weight, and new transmitter/receiver combination!
For more pictures and video click "read more"
Been a while since the last blog post, but thats because i was building and testing the Quadcopter.
It's flying now!
I added a build log to the project pages already, that will be followed by a full video blog. For now go to My Youtube Channel to see all the video's.
And as a teaser, the first flight video!
Notch announced his new game: 0x10c. A space game. With a fully functional cpu, the DCPU-16, controlling the ship, for the hardware geeks, but also full modelling of the ship itself, the interior, and probably even planet surfaces. That and ship raids, planet wars, and probably more fun stuff!
If you can read Dutch, English replies are welcome.
I received my test electronics yesterday, and went to play with them this afternoon.
First issue was: I dont have any Transmitter/Receiver equipment, or batteries. What i do have is lots of old electronics equipment and an MSP430 Launchpad.
So using code written by Rob_G from the 43oh.com forums, the Nunchuck Analog stick i desoldered from the board, an ATX (PC) Power supply, and some cut hard drive ide cables stripped and cut to size, i created my own Receiver Signal Generator. With this i can test the hardware, but also reconfigure my ESC's, or test the MultiWii Software once i added a channel
As always, code and parts in the full post, but first, a video:
Ok, no more hiding it, the YouTube video's are clear enough.
I'm going to build a quadcopter!
The goal is to create a fully functional QuadCopter, running on the Arduino Based MultiWii Software (Using the Arduino Uno for testing). Using the Gyroscope and Accelerometer from respectively a Wii Motion Plus, and a Nunchuck. Common R/C transmission and control hardware will be used in the initial build. After that i have further plans for the quad, but thats a different project.
If you are not going to build a flying machine, but want stabilisation for a different reason, you might be able to extract code that is useful for getting the i2c data.
There is an instruction attached again to this post: i will walk through the process of stripping the Sensor Boards from the MultiWii, and nunchuck, attaching them together, and creating a small sensor package to attach to the arduino.
Check that in the Full Post, Also Parts list, and more Video's!
First, A Sensor Parts Overview:
New Project, MarkoeZ is going to Fly!
More on that in a future post though, and corresponding Project Page.
First, since the next project will be based on Arduino/ATMega, and i have no experience with that, i decided to get an Arduino Uno.
The guys at Farnell (supplier of electronic components, dev kits, etc) noticed my blog, so they sponsored the Arduino Uno! (Thanks Farnell!)
They probably found it through the Hackaday Feature: Thanks Hackaday!
So i have no experience, and an Arduino Uno. Building time! :). First downloaded the software from www.arduino.cc. Then i went through my parts, and found a 5 volt, HD44780 compatible LCD display i ordered off ebay, and had not tested yet.
The Arduino site has a very useful tutorial on connecting the module (need to register first), and LCD Library is provided with the IDE.
The standard example code only displayed a static text though, and thats just boring. So i added some movement to the initial text, a tactile switch and a resistor to the circuit for state selection, and the appropriate code.
Click on "Full Post" for more details, parts list and very rough code (simple schematic will be added)
First, the Video Overview. Nothing ground shaking yet, only the camera :P Just a quick first look at the Uno, and the LCD module tests:
I now have basic serial communication working!
No control codes yet, like wipe, backspace, etc, but the receiving and processing part works, so should not be an issue.
Next To Do: Those controlcodes, and serial graphics..
For now, a video of the first communication tests. And click on full blog post for links to the earlier posts, with a more extensive explanation of the workings, and a component overview. My Homebrewn MSP430 code will follow once its a bit cleaned up and commented
For those that read the last post, the test setup there eventually lasted for 3 months. But by that time only readable in the dark. Still pretty impressive.
But since it could not serve its purpose anymore, i figured i might as well kill it and continue development.
So first of all i added the LED panel i still had ready. Soldered a connector to the board and glued/soldered the panel to the other two, and voila:
The keys to my front door kept breaking off, so, just like everyone would, i built a bluetooth door opener :)
More video's and explanation in the full blog post, click below